Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bye Bye Gall Bladder!


As of yesterday morning at about 7:45 am, I am gall bladder-free. I had the removal surgery. And not a day too soon. I had my last attack Monday night; a little going away gift! The surgery went really well with no complications. The surgeon was able to do the laproscopy and didn't have to open me up all the way. That is really nice. I have four small incisions around my belly. And I will have titanium clips (four or six, not sure) inside me for the rest of my life. My first question about that was, "Will I set off metal detectors?" The answer is no. :)

People have been asking me if the surgeon gave me my gall bladder to take home in a little jar. No. He sent it off to pathology to have it looked at. I'm sure the stones are all they will find. I wouldn't want it anyway! I've had quite enough of it, thank you very much! He did give me four pictures of my insides that he took during surgery. It is quite interesting! (Don't worry; I won't post it here!)

I was quite emotional right after I woke up from the anesthesia. There was a two-year old in a bed near me who was waking up as well and was crying a lot. I could see his litte legs kicking on his bed. It made me really sad to think of a child that young having surgery in the first place. It made me think of Lena because he was about the same age. I got really upset and couldn't stop crying about it. I was supposed to stay in that room about an hour while I woke up until I was moved to a second recovery room where Jim would join me and we would stay until ready to go. I was so upset that the nurse decided to move me right away so that I couldn't see the baby anymore.

I started feeling better after I moved and got to see Jim. I had a little bit of trouble breathing when I first woke up, but it got better as I came to. While in recovery I was able to drink some Sprite and eat some graham crackers and chicken noodle soup. I was super duper tired, falling asleep sitting up. They put me on Vicodin and we left there around 12:15. When we got home I went straight to bed and slept off the rest of the anesthesia. I felt pretty good last evening pain-wise. The Vicodin did a great job on the pain.

My discharge papers say I am not supposed to lift anything over 20 pounds for two weeks. Yeah right. Lena was begging for me to pick her up the second we walked in the door. I ended up having to rock her and lay her down for her nap and at bedtime because she wouldn't go to sleep for Daddy or Grandma. I was feeling pretty good last night so I didn't mind. I think I might be paying for a bit now though, because I woke up at 6 this morning hurting pretty bad. So hopefully Lena will be better today and I can take it a bit easier.

Thanks so much to all of you praying for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment