Thursday, July 15, 2010

Eva's Vision

Yesterday was kind of a rough day around here. A couple days before, I started to notice that Eva never makes eye contact with me. I did get her to smile once, but she wasn't looking at me when she did it (she liked the funny sound I was making). She doesn't look at my face very often, either. I tried to get her to look at a colorful rattle and follow it with her eyes, but she never focused on it once. The alarming thing was that when I put my finger really close to her eye (without touching it), acting like I was going to poke her in the eye, she didn't blink or flinch at all. These things got me really worried about her vision. So we took her back to the pediatrician yesterday to have the doctor look at her. I was kind of expecting that she would tell me I was overreacting and being paranoid and that Eva is still really young and these things take time. That wasn't what she said. She did seem a bit concerned about these issues, saying that infants should be tracking objects with their eyes by one month of age. She was concerned enough to refer us to a pediatric ophthalmologist. She said that pediatric ophthalmologists are really busy and it may be a while before we can get an appointment.

The one that we were referred to said they don't treat these kinds of problems, so the pediatrician is working on finding a different one. We won't hear back until next week about that. Then once we do find a doctor willing to treat her, it may be a while before we can get an appointment.

So please keep Eva in your prayers. Please pray that her problem is minor and is easily treated. Also pray that we are able to see a doctor sooner rather than later because the waiting is going to be really tough. Finding out that there is something wrong with your baby is one of the worst feelings in the world. The sooner we can find out what is wrong and start treating it, the better.

I'll update when I know anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment