Saturday, February 28, 2009

Lena's First Birthday Party!


We had a great time celebrating Lena's first birthday today.  We held her party at The Scoop, the ice cream shop in downtown Middleville.  It is closed for the season but the owners rent it out for parties.  I thought that would be perfect since our house isn't really big enough to handle a party like this.  I tried to do an "ice cream" theme.  

It was a beautiful day today.  Sunny (not warm, but sunny!) and clear.  I was worried that all of our Hoosiers would be stuck at home today because of snow or sleet or something like that, so I was thrilled the weather actually cooperated with me for once!

Lena playing with a balloon.  She had so much fun walking around, "talking" to people, and playing with whatever she found.  I could really tell that she was having a blast (and I'm not just saying that!)  


Lena with Aunt Hilary.  Aunt Hilary and Grandma Sheryl were so wonderful to come up early to help me decorate and stay late to help me clean up.  Thanks so much!


Lena and Mama.  I got my hair cut on Thursday.  It's a little shorter than I was expecting, but oh well.  It's always nice to change it up every once in a while.


The kids played the game "Pin the Cherry on the Sundae."  The "cherry" was a red Coke bottle cap with a push pin glued inside it.


Our happy birthday girl, dancing to some music. 


Lena playing with her best bud, Madelyn.  They found the plastic sundae bowls quite interesting.  (This was before the gift opening!)


Lena in her birthday-decorated high chair a few seconds before she started ripping off the decorations and eating them.


Opening presents.  We had some great little helpers who brought Lena the gifts to be opened and helped throw the paper away.


Daddy helped Lena blow out her candle.


Eating her birthday cake.  I was so worried that it was going to be the biggest mess ever, with cake smashed into her hair and shoved up her nose, but she did a great job.  She grabbed it by handfuls, but she managed to get about 90% of it in her mouth!  Clean-up was a breeze!


I had no idea how much work it took to plan a party like this one, and I wouldn't do it every year, but I'm glad I did it.  Lena seemed to really enjoy herself.  I think everyone else had fun too.  Thanks so much to everyone for coming, especially those who drove 2 hours+!  

And thanks also for all of the wonderful gifts!  Lena didn't even take a nap after we got home because she was having so much fun playing with her new toys and "reading" her new books.

Today we're thanking God for a wonderful year with our precious daughter and we can't wait to see how great the second year will be!



No comments:

Post a Comment