Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Deer, Tree Limb, and our trip to Ann Arbor

On Sunday after church, Jim and I took Hilary out to lunch to thank her for watching Lena Friday and Saturday nights. On our way to Hastings, we watched as the car in front of us hit a deer. It struck the windshield and went flipping, twisting, and turning up into the air and over into the ditch. It was so shocking! It was the middle of a beautiful, sunny summer day. Not a time when you would be expecting deer to be out. As soon as it happened, Hilary pulled over and we got out to see if the people in the car were okay. The front seat passengers were covered in glass. They had the kind of windshield that just crumbles to pieces upon impact. That's good, because the pieces aren't sharp. So the people weren't hurt at all, but it was scary to at first see them covered in glass shards. Here's what their car looked like:



I called 911 and they dispatched a state trooper. Jim, Hilary, another woman, and I all stayed with the people until the policeman arrived. The people were elderly and needed help contacting a family member to drive them home. The trooper said that if they had the old style of windshield, that the deer would have come right through it and landed on their laps. Yikes! The people handled the situation very well. They were very calm and collected. I would have been freaking out! (I took this pic with my cell phone.)

So after the trooper arrived we got back in the car and headed to Hastings. We had a nice lunch at the Walldorff and then Hilary headed home. We went back home where Jim and Lena rested and I packed for our trip to Ann Arbor. We went to Ann Arbor for the Michigan District Convention. It's held every three years at Concordia University. Jim was attending as our congregation's pastor (obviously) and I attended as our congregation's lay delegate. The only reason I was the lay delegate is because no one else in our congregation wanted to go.

As I was packing, I went into the office to get the laptop bag. I walked in and this is what I saw:


It was a really windy day and I did hear a sound in the office a bit before this. Mia had gone in there and I thought she jumped up and knocked something over. I might have even yelled at her from the other room (Sorry, Mia!). But I guess it was this branch falling into our window!


The window was open at the time so it didn't break the glass. I'm not sure it would have anyway. It did tear the screen away from its frame, but that's the only damage it did and it was minor.


Pretty big branch. It must have come from near the top of our tulip tree because we couldn't see where it came from.


This shot reminds me of a bride's train!


It wasn't a dead branch. Very much alive and healthy-looking. Weird.

The rest of the pics are from Ann Arbor. They were all taken in our hotel room because it didn't work for me to take Lena with me to the convention. I tried the first day and it didn't work out. So we hung out in the hotel room while Jim attended. (He was able to cast my votes for me so we still got our two votes in.)

Those two days were extremely trying for me. Lena was not herself. She was cranky, grumpy, whiny, and screamy. She cried and screamed at the drop of a hat and wouldn't even calm down after I picked her up and comforted her. I brought a big bag full of toys for her but when I gave them to her she would just throw them down on the floor and cry. The hotel room wasn't as toddler-proofed as our house is and one time while I had my back turned she grabbed my sunglasses and broke them. Bad day.


She did enjoy playing with the glass doors of the closet.


And walking around in Mama's shoes.


But this is how she looked most of the time.


Tuesday was a bit better. On Tuesday she discovered this cabinet and entertained herself a bit better. We stayed at an Extended Stay Deluxe hotel. They have mini-kitchens in them. I chose that one because Lena has to have milk every morning and still won't drink it cold so a fridge and microwave were extremely helpful. These rooms also have a kitchen sink, stovetop and oven, dishes, cups, silverware, a cooking pot, toaster, and coffee maker. So nice! And it was the same price as a regular hotel room ($78 a night).

We discovered a rash on the back of Lena's neck Thursday evening. It didn't get better (and spread a little bit) over the weekend so Monday morning I called her doctor. She said it was either a heat rash or an allergic reaction. She suggested putting some Benadryl cream on it to see if that helps. If not, she said we should bring her in when we got back into town. I went ahead and made an appointment for Wednesday morning thinking I could cancel if she got better. I put some cream on her, but I didn't really think it was an allergic reaction. I googled heat rash and the results made me pretty sure that's what it was. It looked just like it. And it was really hot right when she first started showing the rash. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it greatly diminished this morning when she woke up. There were still a few bumps, but they weren't red anymore. I put more cream on her and now it's almost completely disappeared. So I canceled her appointment for tomorrow. I still don't know if it was heat rash or an allergy, but I'm glad it's gone.

So, for those of you keeping track, that's three trips down, one to go! Our next trip starts July 9th when we head to Indiana for the weekend. On Sunday the 12th, Jim and I will go to Chicago to see the rescheduled Cardinals/Cubs game that got rained out my birthday weekend.

Have a good week everyone. I have to do some research to find out where we can see some fireworks this weekend. Although it will require staying up way past her bedtime, I am insisting that Lena see fireworks this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment